Sunday, June 6, 2010

Introduction BIS 401

Hello, My name is Jenny Wolff and I am studying Urban Metropolitan Studies and Urban Planning and Development as my concentrations for the BIS degree. I love construction, green building, sustainability, and community. I chose to go into the field of urban planning for those reasons and many more. My internship is with Kennedy Design Build which are general contractors and I am helping the company with the LEED certification on the Thunderbird Tower Restoration Project. The project is out on Thunderbird School of Global Management's campus and we are restoring an old air craft tower that was built in 1941. We are also making the tower a green building and LEED certified. It truly is an amazing project and I am so lucky to be a part of it. There is a great website for those interested to check it out at http://www.thunderbird.edu/about_thunderbird/giving_to_tbird/tower_restoration/index.htm
I hope to gain as much experience and knowledge from this experience as possible, I know that my personal education working with the LEED certification will increase as well as heavy duty construction and development. Throughout my courses at ASU, I have been learning about green building, sustainability, LEED, and other aspects of city and community development. Currently at Thunderbird I am responsible for putting together all of the documentation needed to have the tower be accredited for LEED points, I have never done anything so intense but look forward to the task at hand. After graduation I plan on continuing my work helping the community and making our country a greener place. I would love to land a full time job, however the market and economy for construction, development, and city planning is not soaring in Phoenix now, but I have hope. I would love to move to the pacific coast and or northwest, cities like Portland, San Francisco, and Seattle fascinate me. Community planning and green building is absolutely without a doubt what I will spend my life and future doing and improving.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jenny!

    I am so glad I came across your blog! My brother is a LEED certified architect so I have heard all about it. He works for Perkins + Will which is one of the pioneers in the architecture field for LEED certified buildings. It sounds like this will be great experience for you and help you out a lot when it comes to find a job. It is great you have found something that you can be passionate about and it is great that it helps the planet! I learned a lot about sustainability when the ASU dance program coordinated with the school of sustainability a year ago. It was a great experience and I loved being a part of it. I can not wait to hear more about how the project goes! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jenny, looks like you are enjoying your study! I think it’s really great that you are into Green building. Our future depends on people like you taking the initiative. It always nice when you can put everything you learned in school to work in the real world. Sometime when I’m learning material I wonder, when the hell am I going to use this?! Do you think there is any possibility of getting a job with Kennedy Design Build? I am from the San Francisco area and I think it would be so amazing to find a job in the city. There is a bunch of green building happening within the city as well as new development. Good luck and have fun while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny,
    Its nice that you are so sure of your interest and future career plans. It sounds like you really know what it is that you want to do and are gaining good hands on experience doing it! The Thunderbird bird project does look cool, I checked out the web page. Thunderbird is an awesome school as well. I have had a number of students in the past with urban planning and development concentrations, but what is Urban metropolitan studies and how is this different from urban planning? I am also a little surprised that they let you have two concentrations that were so similar to each other. I am looking forward to hearing more about your project at Thunderbird and I am really glad that you were able to get the whole internet problem sorted out. Blackboard really frustrates me sometimes as I have some of the same problems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny,

    I love the whole concept you're involved in. I have never really thought too much about green building, but it really is an amazing idea. It's about time people start thinking about our environment and our future with the planet and nature. The project you're working on sounds really meaningful to you and that makes work so much better when there's actually meaning in what you do. I read that you also wouldn't mind working in the field of education because you like helping and working with people. Education is what I am working in right now and I love it. During the last 2 years I have worked at a high school in a special education classroom as an Instructional Aide. As my internship, I have been working for an agency called L.I.F.E. where they place habilitation providers in a child with disabilities home. I work on his behavioral, social, and acedemic goals while at the same time essentially babysitting him so that his parent's could have a little break. I find meaning in my job and my internship, and I can see how you would find the same.

    I noticeed that you have worked as a bartender and server for many years, and I can also relate to you in that aspect. Before working for the public school system, I was a server off and on for 10 years so I very much understand your job transferable skills. I know the multi-tasking serving takes and all the other skills required to do a goob job in the serving industry. Using the various computer programs can be tricky, however there are a few I find easier, one in particular being aloha. Serving tables requires good people skills and wow do you have to have a good memory. Especially if you were also bartending, I think that's probably why I never bartended. I can't remember all those drink ingrediants. Overall, I find your job showcase to be very impressive and way to go on going green!

    ReplyDelete