Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Week 7 Communication

The only thing that I think that my organization can improve on is communication; experiencing it first hand, lack of communication just causes confusion and problems. Many of my daily duties are to document and research various materials, resources, construction activities, and actual building structures. LEED is the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, Green Building rating system that we are using to certify the Thunderbird Tower a green building. LEED provides target for the design, operation, and construction of high performance green buildings, LEED also promotes a whole-building approach to sustainability by identifying performance in five key areas that include sustainable site development, water efficiency, energy efficiency, materials and resources, and indoor environmental quality. There is a lot going on and so many various items that must be documented for the LEED certification to become a reality. I personally believe that if everyone could come together and communicate on the different aspects of the project which they question or don’t understand then we would all achieve a much higher level of success. When I first came into the project I was seeing a lot of miscommunication, however as the months have progressed I have been looking to call everyone together and have meetings to discuss what is going on and where we need to go with this. So far all the meeting have been a success for everyone, the general contractors get to talk with the architects, the commissioners can communicate what they need to, I can ask questions and be helped, all in all everyone wins with open communication. Problem solving and communication are always great skills to carry. As the project continues I plan to arrange several other meeting just to get everyone together, communicating, and on the same page, I truly believe that the whole project and everyone involved will benefit from this.

3 comments:

  1. I think communication is really important for a business to be successful. It helps everything work smoothly. The organization I am working for right now pretty much depends on communication to exist. It is so small and is only working because everyone is helping each other and is on the same page. I think it is great that you are organizing meetings to encourage communication, they are lucky to have an intern like you that cares about the organization.


    Goodluck! Tina Doyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that your company is focusing on going green. I've taken sustainability classes where I have learned a lot about LEED. From a sociology standpoint, I think forming into groups would help solve your problem of getting everyone to communicate better. Your meeting idea was a really good way to get everyone together. Therefore, forming people in groups and assigning them a task to get done before each meeting will help increase productivity. That way everyone is putting in work instead of just some people. It will also let people know the specific task they need to fulfil. By putting people into groups, it will help there to be less confusion on what is supposed to get done. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a smart idea incorporating meetings to help with the communication of the staff on your project. Communication is so important in an business or project and it is awesome that you have helped the overall communication on your project. It is important to hear everyone's point of view on a problem or solution so that all the information about the project is in the air. This is the best time to create solutions because everybody brings a unique view to the situation. I am glad that the communication on your job site has improved and I wish you luck on completing your job.

    ReplyDelete